Skip to main content

#88 - buy a kitchen table and chairs

Compared to many of my other 99 goals, this one seems a little silly.  After all, what impact will acquiring a table and chairs have on my personal growth?  But, let's be honest, some things are just necessary.  Ricky and I loved eating on the couch and everything, but it's a tad embarrassing when you have guests...so I was on the hunt for a table, not for my personal growth, but for my social development.  And by "on the hunt," I mean "scavenging Craigslist."  (As if you didn't already know!)

Most of the options down here in southwest Florida fall into two categories: the white-washed, pastel-cushioned, retirement-community style...


...or the metal-and-glass, I-don't-have-any-children-that-may-break-their-faces-on-this style.


Give or take a few rattan pieces (which probably could be used as makeshift rafts in a hurricane-induced pinch, I suppose), this was my selection.

"Why can't I just find a contemporary, wooden set that just happens to be under $100?!" I wailed. 

If I believed in polytheism, I would say that the gods of craigslist and furniture conferenced with the patron saint of poor graduate students to deliver me this answer to my whining:

(The ray of light from the background is, appropriately, accompanied by a heavenly chorus.)

The first time I saw this set appear on craigslist, we didn't have the extra $85 that the ad requested, so I held back a few sniffles and promptly forgot about the whole thing.  A week later, after our Virginia power company finally sent us our deposit back, I saw the ad AGAIN!  It was, as Sara George would say, a Christmas Miracle.  We immediately texted the seller, as all good craigslist business is done, and drove to his house to see the merchandise.  Other than a little wear on the corners against a wall, there wasn't a mark of damage to be found!  The set was oak, a year old, said the seller, and it really was in good condition...

...except for the fact that the set had been used for three children who had marked it as their territory with marker and Disney princess stamps.  Tabletop, chairs, underside of table--you name it, and there was something drawn on it. 

Luckily for me, because I really wanted this set, the gods of cleaning products invented the magic eraser.

If that looks like Ricky dismantling the table to scrub off child markings, it's because it is.

Those erasers really are magic, though, and we scrubbed off every sign of a previous owner!  The set looks brand new--just classic enough to be homey, and just contemporary enough for me to love it--and Ricky even picked out the no-slip seat cushions that he's pretty thrilled about.  (As seen two pictures ago.) He has to be comfortable when he eats, I have learned, and that definitely includes no bare wood and no sliding seat cushions.  I have no complaints.

I promise this is the last post for today--I've gotten a lot done in the past week, and it's nice to be making such quick progress on the list!  Leave it to a big uprooting to make inspire big changes.  #88, complete!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#29 - write in a journal weekly for six months (1/27)

Ok, blogosphere.  It's time to get serious.  One of the items on my list is keeping a weekly journal for six months, and since I'm getting dangerously close to not having six months left in those 999 days, I better start now.  I'd much prefer to keep a paper journal, but it takes so long to hand-write things.  (First world problems, right?)  So here we are. I'll be pulling prompts from this website whenever I get stuck...so, basically all the time.  I really struggle with blogging because I'm too worried about how I come across to the people reading it, and that distracts me from writing about real things like how I really want to play a Dungeons and Dragons game (I'm serious, you guys) and how I may or may not have left a load of laundry in the washing machine for two days and am writing this to avoid dealing with it.  First up is something eerily similar to those Livejournal/Facebook "fill this out about yourself" lists, so consider this m

#21 - go to the temple at least once every three months

On the last Saturday in September (procrastination, as usual), Ricky and I made the 3 1/2 hour drive to the Orlando, FL temple for what threatened to be a supremely awesome day.  (For those of you unfamiliar with the purpose of LDS temples, there's a website !) It was hard leaving our dear Washington, D.C. temple behind--after all, we did get married there--but we were excited for the chance to make Orlando our "home base" for the next few years.     Not as impressive as the D.C. "towering over the Beltway" look, but still impressive! Isn't this place gorgeous?  You can't see the fountains in this picture, but the temptation to jump in them was pretty strong.  It was SO HOT. No Jensen outing is complete without an awkward, "look, we match" picture.   95% of the time this is a total accident. The temple was, as usual, amazing.  You know that feeling you get when you're on vacation and you realize that you have nowhere to rush to and n