Skip to main content

#61 - refinish a piece of furniture

This one took FOREVER.  Seven cans of spray paint and about a million trips to Wal-Mart later, our dresser is finally refinished!  When we arrived in Florida, I knew it would be my only chance to make it over, so our clothes have been stacked haphazardly around our bedroom waiting to have a home.

We inherited the dresser from the wonderful Kaitlyn, who lived in our VA apartment before us and left it behind because it was a behemoth to move.  We didn't want to get rid of it, obviously--it's a free piece of furniture!--but I had to do something with it because it really was not jiving with my style.

The very first thing I did was remove the hard water etching design from the vanity mirror.


I was pretty amazed at how easily it came off.  I used a fine-grain sander and some water and it disappeared!  (See upper left corner of the mirror for an in-progress section.)

And after:


Ta-da!

Next, I repainted the vanity section that sits on top of the dresser.


There isn't a "before" picture, but the whole thing was painted white and pretty much blended right into our apartment walls.  I chose "almond" to give it some color without overtaking our other bedroom decorations--I briefly toyed with a darker brown, but it made our room look gloomy, so back to the almond! This (not very good) picture is somewhere between the white and the almond.

Next step: remove handles from drawers...


...and fill in decorative drawer grooves with wood putty.


(Here you can see the whiteness...and where I sanded off the rejected dark brown paint.)

The wood putty was SUCH a pain.  Even after multiple applications and sandings, some areas still looked a little...odd...once painted over, but at that point it was way too late to turn back.  At least no one will be looking at my dresser drawers up close, right?

Finally, it was time to paint everything over and attach new handles to the drawers.


Then came the (actual) dresser!

It had some stains that I sanded out and grooves that I filled in with (even more) wood putty.  We really abused this thing in VA, probably because there was .2 inches of walking space between the bed and the dresser, leaving no buffer for accidental dings and spills.  This is why they invented paint.


Once THAT was finished and re-painted, it was finally time to put everything together!

The finished product:


I wish I had a "before" picture of the whole thing, but this will have to do!  Ignore the stuff in the mirror--those are the aforementioned homeless clothes. :)

Wow, reading this post makes it seem like I finished this whole project in like...a day.  Maybe even a few hours.  It took weeks, people!  I had no idea how labor-intensive it would be, but it was totally worth it to save hundreds of dollars on a new dresser and vanity.  In any case, I'm glad it's over, and I finished #61!

Comments

  1. I remember what it looked like before and this new version of it is much more "you", if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#29 - write in a journal weekly for six months (1/27)

Ok, blogosphere.  It's time to get serious.  One of the items on my list is keeping a weekly journal for six months, and since I'm getting dangerously close to not having six months left in those 999 days, I better start now.  I'd much prefer to keep a paper journal, but it takes so long to hand-write things.  (First world problems, right?)  So here we are. I'll be pulling prompts from this website whenever I get stuck...so, basically all the time.  I really struggle with blogging because I'm too worried about how I come across to the people reading it, and that distracts me from writing about real things like how I really want to play a Dungeons and Dragons game (I'm serious, you guys) and how I may or may not have left a load of laundry in the washing machine for two days and am writing this to avoid dealing with it.  First up is something eerily similar to those Livejournal/Facebook "fill this out about yourself" lists, so consider this m

#88 - buy a kitchen table and chairs

Compared to many of my other 99 goals, this one seems a little silly.  After all, what impact will acquiring a table and chairs have on my personal growth?  But, let's be honest, some things are just necessary.  Ricky and I loved eating on the couch and everything, but it's a tad embarrassing when you have guests...so I was on the hunt for a table, not for my personal growth, but for my social development.  And by "on the hunt," I mean "scavenging Craigslist."  (As if you didn't already know!) Most of the options down here in southwest Florida fall into two categories: the white-washed, pastel-cushioned, retirement-community style... ...or the metal-and-glass, I-don't-have-any-children-that-may-break-their-faces-on-this style. Give or take a few rattan pieces (which probably could be used as makeshift rafts in a hurricane-induced pinch, I suppose), this was my selection. "Why can't I just find a contemporary, wooden set that just h

#21 - go to the temple at least once every three months

On the last Saturday in September (procrastination, as usual), Ricky and I made the 3 1/2 hour drive to the Orlando, FL temple for what threatened to be a supremely awesome day.  (For those of you unfamiliar with the purpose of LDS temples, there's a website !) It was hard leaving our dear Washington, D.C. temple behind--after all, we did get married there--but we were excited for the chance to make Orlando our "home base" for the next few years.     Not as impressive as the D.C. "towering over the Beltway" look, but still impressive! Isn't this place gorgeous?  You can't see the fountains in this picture, but the temptation to jump in them was pretty strong.  It was SO HOT. No Jensen outing is complete without an awkward, "look, we match" picture.   95% of the time this is a total accident. The temple was, as usual, amazing.  You know that feeling you get when you're on vacation and you realize that you have nowhere to rush to and n