Skip to main content

#61 - go someplace with little to no light pollution and stargaze AND #62 - identify ten constellations and ten stars

As much as I love living on the East Coast, sometimes it's frustrating looking at satellite images and seeing the entire Eastern seaboard lit up like a Christmas tree. You can't see anything at nighttime! There are some dark spots in Florida, if you're willing to camp out in the middle of the Everglades...but that takes a level of commitment beyond what my fear of being eaten by a python allows me to have.

Idaho, on the other hand, is GREAT for stargazing, despite otherwise being largely bland and unappealing. (No offense, Idahoans.) Actually, now that I think about it, those are probably the necessary qualities that make a place good for stargazing.

Last night, Ricky drove us up to the top of Mount Harrison around midnight for some sweet spacetime adventures. 

File:Heyburn Idaho Looking South.JPG

It's about 9,200 feet high, which is basically nothing if you're from out west and practically Mount Everest if you're from a place known for being below sea level. It was crazy dark! I had about a foot of visibility once we turned off the headlights. There was a haze around the horizon, but the sky above was incredible. I had never seen the Milky Way in real life before (Ricky was like, "Are you serious!?"), and let me tell you: IT IS AWESOME. Literally awesome. As luck would have it, we caught the one night of the Aurigid meteor shower, and we saw about ten shooting stars during the hour we were out.

I downloaded a stargazing app, which made the whole experience 10x better, because I could point the iPad at a star and it would tell me the name and show the outline of the constellation it was a part of. My favorite constellation to find was Pegasus--it takes up so much of the sky!--and Cassiopeia was another cool one. Thanks, technology.



In the car afterwards--it was too dark to get any pictures outside. (How do you do captions on the Blogger app?? I take back what I said about technology.)

Comments

  1. That's so cool that they make an app for finding constellations! I feel like we're in the age of Star Trek technology when I hear about things like that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#29 - write in a journal weekly for six months (1/27)

Ok, blogosphere.  It's time to get serious.  One of the items on my list is keeping a weekly journal for six months, and since I'm getting dangerously close to not having six months left in those 999 days, I better start now.  I'd much prefer to keep a paper journal, but it takes so long to hand-write things.  (First world problems, right?)  So here we are. I'll be pulling prompts from this website whenever I get stuck...so, basically all the time.  I really struggle with blogging because I'm too worried about how I come across to the people reading it, and that distracts me from writing about real things like how I really want to play a Dungeons and Dragons game (I'm serious, you guys) and how I may or may not have left a load of laundry in the washing machine for two days and am writing this to avoid dealing with it.  First up is something eerily similar to those Livejournal/Facebook "fill this out about yourself" lists, so consider this m...

2021, in conclusion/memoriam

We're all just ignoring any and all goals we set during the pandemic, right? Right. After the nightmare that was 2020, 2021 wasn't so bad. I submitted my first first-author publication  that uncovered a long-standing misconception about airborne transmission of disease, and it got me featured in WIRED magazine . I successfully defended and submitted my dissertation about volunteer health communication in US refugee resettlement. (Those two projects sound very unrelated, but medical rhetoric is the key there :) :))  After 2 years of doctoral coursework and 3 (soul-sucking) years of dissertating, I graduated with a PhD in Rhetoric and Writing from Virginia Tech. My mental health immediately   improved. While I was finishing my dissertation, we sold our townhouse in Blacksburg and moved to a 1910s-era bungalow in coastal North Carolina. My daughter started 1st grade (!) in a Spanish immersion program. We all got vaccinated. I was on set as an extra in a Simu Liu/Phillipa So...

#13 - take Ricky to NYC (day 2)

DAY 2 - TUESDAY, MAY 15TH After a surprisingly restful night of sleep (despite being woken up at 7:00 by boys yelling in German in the hallway and the bathroom door that sounded like a trumpeting elephant when opened--I didn't even know that was possible), Ricky and I left the hostel at 9:00 or so to try and get standby tickets for "Death of a Salesman."  The box office doesn't open until 10:00, so if we're in line by 9:30, we'll be good, right?  Wrong.  All the info I found online about standby tickets said the non-musical shows were pretty easy to get tickets for, and you didn't have to show up super early, etc.  Well, apparently Phillip Seymour Hoffman is more popular than I anticipated, because all the standby tickets were sold out by the time we showed up.  In fact, the ticket attendant told Ricky they had been sold out since 7:00.  IN THE MORNING.  He said the line started at 5:00.  I laughed in Ricky's face when he passed the informati...