Skip to main content

#24 - go scuba diving/renew certification

Catching up some old events!  Last October (that's right--2011), Ricky and I took advantage of a Groupon for a dive class.  I really want to get Ricky his open water certification (I'm already certified), but he wasn't sure if he would like it, so this was a chance for him to get his feet wet, literally speaking. 





He loved it!  I had a great time doing a refresher course, and it was fun going with Ricky.  (The title here is misleading.  SCUBA certification never expires, but you do have to do a refresher if you haven't been diving for a while.)  I forgot how amazing diving is.  I told Ricky that as soon as he's done with school, we're going to get him certified so that he can be my dive buddy.


I wound up leaving my dive gear (oops!) and we had to go back to Orlando the next month to retrieve it.  But it was a good excuse to visit the dive shop again!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#29 - write in a journal weekly for six months (1/27)

Ok, blogosphere.  It's time to get serious.  One of the items on my list is keeping a weekly journal for six months, and since I'm getting dangerously close to not having six months left in those 999 days, I better start now.  I'd much prefer to keep a paper journal, but it takes so long to hand-write things.  (First world problems, right?)  So here we are. I'll be pulling prompts from this website whenever I get stuck...so, basically all the time.  I really struggle with blogging because I'm too worried about how I come across to the people reading it, and that distracts me from writing about real things like how I really want to play a Dungeons and Dragons game (I'm serious, you guys) and how I may or may not have left a load of laundry in the washing machine for two days and am writing this to avoid dealing with it.  First up is something eerily similar to those Livejournal/Facebook "fill this out about yourself" lists, so consider this m...

#13 - take Ricky to NYC (day 4)

DAY 4 - THURSDAY, MAY 17TH I have to brag for a minute. When Ricky and I decided that the New York thing was really going to happen, I wondered if we may be able to squeeze in a Boston day.  I went to Boston over spring break in 2008, and it's been my favorite "big city" ever since--Ricky wasn't over the moon about going (because that was one less day we'd be in NYC), but he could see how excited I was about it.  Also, I planned the whole trip, so he didn't really have a choice anyway. :)  So, I did some searching.  We were still about two months out at this point, but I discovered that Peter Pan Bus Lines (they use Greyhound buses?  I don't know how it works) offers a $1 fare from NYC to Boston (and back) if you book online a month in advance...so I set an alarm on my phone for the right day and scored two round-trip tickets for $4.50 (with tax)!  Since we took overnight buses, that $4.50 was also our NYC lodging cost for two nights.  Plea...

#13 - take Ricky to NYC (day 2)

DAY 2 - TUESDAY, MAY 15TH After a surprisingly restful night of sleep (despite being woken up at 7:00 by boys yelling in German in the hallway and the bathroom door that sounded like a trumpeting elephant when opened--I didn't even know that was possible), Ricky and I left the hostel at 9:00 or so to try and get standby tickets for "Death of a Salesman."  The box office doesn't open until 10:00, so if we're in line by 9:30, we'll be good, right?  Wrong.  All the info I found online about standby tickets said the non-musical shows were pretty easy to get tickets for, and you didn't have to show up super early, etc.  Well, apparently Phillip Seymour Hoffman is more popular than I anticipated, because all the standby tickets were sold out by the time we showed up.  In fact, the ticket attendant told Ricky they had been sold out since 7:00.  IN THE MORNING.  He said the line started at 5:00.  I laughed in Ricky's face when he passed the informati...