Skip to main content

#29 - write in a journal weekly for six months (9/27)

(prompt from here)

Write about something you now know that you wish you knew earlier in life. How could this knowledge have helped you?

If I could go back and have a conversation with College Me (all of six to three years ago), I think I would tell her to stop being such a self-righteous idiot. High School Me was a social moron (weren't we all?) and often quite mean, but the self-righteousness didn't start sticking its nose in the air until I went to a religious college. Don't get me wrong--my college was pretty awesome--but what happened for me when I was immersed in a religious environment was that I forgot how to not be a jerk about what other people believe and think. I thought that if someone self-identified as Mormon, like me, that I was then at liberty to tut-tut over skirt lengths and choice of movies and church attendance and marriage partners and wow, College Me, you were seriously embarrassing. College Me's preoccupation with other people's business often prevented her from understanding and appreciating those people for who they were, instead of who SHE expected them to be, and that was a very poor life choice. I wish I had learned earlier that I'm severely unqualified to pass judgment on other people's lives or beliefs, even if we go to church together. Especially if we go to church together. Basically, somebody needed to give College Me a good kick in the knee-length skirt.

(This self-revelation isn't going to keep me from passing cruel, cold judgment when my students use the wrong form of "your" in a paper, though. I'm not that generous!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#29 - write in a journal weekly for six months (1/27)

Ok, blogosphere.  It's time to get serious.  One of the items on my list is keeping a weekly journal for six months, and since I'm getting dangerously close to not having six months left in those 999 days, I better start now.  I'd much prefer to keep a paper journal, but it takes so long to hand-write things.  (First world problems, right?)  So here we are. I'll be pulling prompts from this website whenever I get stuck...so, basically all the time.  I really struggle with blogging because I'm too worried about how I come across to the people reading it, and that distracts me from writing about real things like how I really want to play a Dungeons and Dragons game (I'm serious, you guys) and how I may or may not have left a load of laundry in the washing machine for two days and am writing this to avoid dealing with it.  First up is something eerily similar to those Livejournal/Facebook "fill this out about yourself" lists, so consider this m...

#13 - take Ricky to NYC (day 4)

DAY 4 - THURSDAY, MAY 17TH I have to brag for a minute. When Ricky and I decided that the New York thing was really going to happen, I wondered if we may be able to squeeze in a Boston day.  I went to Boston over spring break in 2008, and it's been my favorite "big city" ever since--Ricky wasn't over the moon about going (because that was one less day we'd be in NYC), but he could see how excited I was about it.  Also, I planned the whole trip, so he didn't really have a choice anyway. :)  So, I did some searching.  We were still about two months out at this point, but I discovered that Peter Pan Bus Lines (they use Greyhound buses?  I don't know how it works) offers a $1 fare from NYC to Boston (and back) if you book online a month in advance...so I set an alarm on my phone for the right day and scored two round-trip tickets for $4.50 (with tax)!  Since we took overnight buses, that $4.50 was also our NYC lodging cost for two nights.  Plea...

#13 - take Ricky to NYC (day 2)

DAY 2 - TUESDAY, MAY 15TH After a surprisingly restful night of sleep (despite being woken up at 7:00 by boys yelling in German in the hallway and the bathroom door that sounded like a trumpeting elephant when opened--I didn't even know that was possible), Ricky and I left the hostel at 9:00 or so to try and get standby tickets for "Death of a Salesman."  The box office doesn't open until 10:00, so if we're in line by 9:30, we'll be good, right?  Wrong.  All the info I found online about standby tickets said the non-musical shows were pretty easy to get tickets for, and you didn't have to show up super early, etc.  Well, apparently Phillip Seymour Hoffman is more popular than I anticipated, because all the standby tickets were sold out by the time we showed up.  In fact, the ticket attendant told Ricky they had been sold out since 7:00.  IN THE MORNING.  He said the line started at 5:00.  I laughed in Ricky's face when he passed the informati...