Skip to main content

#25 - make lasagna from scratch

I'm realizing now that I have a LOT of posts to catch up on--I'm nearly halfway done with my list (!!) and don't have near enough posts to show for it.  So here's an old one:

Last November, my awesome friend and former roommate Elizabeth met Ricky and I in Sarasota for their annual chalk festival (think 3D street art and such), and then she came to spend the weekend with us in our apartment.  She's the first person to sleep on our couch!  (That doesn't sound like as big of a deal as it feels in my head.)  Anyway, while she was visiting, I told her about my lasagna goal, and she waved her hand dismissively like the pro she is and said she could help me whip something up.  (She was actually was more supportive and enthusiastic about it, but I like the mental imagery of Lizbeth scoffing sophisticatedly at my cooking peasantries.)  So we went to the store!  And we cooked things!

I hope it counts even if I didn't make the noodles from scratch, but who even does that anymore? 

My roommates in college used to tease me about measuring water out for boiling noodles, so it probably won't surprise you that I had about a dozen heart attacks every time Lizbeth would tell me to "eyeball it" or something brave like that.  I can cook well enough...if I follow an extremely precise recipe to the letter.  Every time I try to wing something, it's disastrous, so I leave the improving to moms and anthropomorphic rats in Pixar movies.  I don't like cooking because it feels way too much like having to show your work while doing a math problem...a math problem that everyone has to eat when you're done with it.  And, no matter how long it takes to make something, it's gone in fifteen minutes.  In fact, the better it is, the quicker it's finished!  How unfair is that?

Slow cookers were invented for me, I think.  Also, those vegetables that steam in the bag.

Luckily I had Elizabeth with me to be an adult and have the patience to do these things, and the lasagna turned out delicious.

Cooking away!
Some seriously delicious cooking snacks, courtesy of Elizabeth.
Laying out the lasagna...Elizabeth did cheese, I did noodles.
In the oven it goes!  Please ignore my weird hair-thing.  I have no control over it.
Lasagna is Ricky's favorite food, so he was pretty pleased, even though it was meatless (vegetarian and all that, you know).  Fun fact: Ricky's a better cook than I am, but neither of us has time to cook anything that takes longer than 30 minutes to make, so those talents are under the figurative bushel for another year.  We have a "Katie-on-weekdays-and-Ricky-on-weekends" deal in place that'll go into effect once we have kids.  Until then, maybe I'll just bus Elizabeth down from Massachusetts every other week.

Comments

  1. I would love that deal! I told you it wasn't really that hard. I think the hardest part is always the sauce, so many things can go wrong. I once tried to make a cheese sauce and it was, uh, interesting; there were lumps involved. You totally owned that lasagna! It was delicious and I still remember it so there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#29 - write in a journal weekly for six months (1/27)

Ok, blogosphere.  It's time to get serious.  One of the items on my list is keeping a weekly journal for six months, and since I'm getting dangerously close to not having six months left in those 999 days, I better start now.  I'd much prefer to keep a paper journal, but it takes so long to hand-write things.  (First world problems, right?)  So here we are. I'll be pulling prompts from this website whenever I get stuck...so, basically all the time.  I really struggle with blogging because I'm too worried about how I come across to the people reading it, and that distracts me from writing about real things like how I really want to play a Dungeons and Dragons game (I'm serious, you guys) and how I may or may not have left a load of laundry in the washing machine for two days and am writing this to avoid dealing with it.  First up is something eerily similar to those Livejournal/Facebook "fill this out about yourself" lists, so consider this m

#88 - buy a kitchen table and chairs

Compared to many of my other 99 goals, this one seems a little silly.  After all, what impact will acquiring a table and chairs have on my personal growth?  But, let's be honest, some things are just necessary.  Ricky and I loved eating on the couch and everything, but it's a tad embarrassing when you have guests...so I was on the hunt for a table, not for my personal growth, but for my social development.  And by "on the hunt," I mean "scavenging Craigslist."  (As if you didn't already know!) Most of the options down here in southwest Florida fall into two categories: the white-washed, pastel-cushioned, retirement-community style... ...or the metal-and-glass, I-don't-have-any-children-that-may-break-their-faces-on-this style. Give or take a few rattan pieces (which probably could be used as makeshift rafts in a hurricane-induced pinch, I suppose), this was my selection. "Why can't I just find a contemporary, wooden set that just h

#21 - go to the temple at least once every three months

On the last Saturday in September (procrastination, as usual), Ricky and I made the 3 1/2 hour drive to the Orlando, FL temple for what threatened to be a supremely awesome day.  (For those of you unfamiliar with the purpose of LDS temples, there's a website !) It was hard leaving our dear Washington, D.C. temple behind--after all, we did get married there--but we were excited for the chance to make Orlando our "home base" for the next few years.     Not as impressive as the D.C. "towering over the Beltway" look, but still impressive! Isn't this place gorgeous?  You can't see the fountains in this picture, but the temptation to jump in them was pretty strong.  It was SO HOT. No Jensen outing is complete without an awkward, "look, we match" picture.   95% of the time this is a total accident. The temple was, as usual, amazing.  You know that feeling you get when you're on vacation and you realize that you have nowhere to rush to and n