Skip to main content

#29 - write in a journal weekly for six months (3/27)

(prompt from here)

A List of Favorite Movies 
(narrowed down to the top 6 after much deliberation)

I like movies in a different way than I like books.  Movies can convey in a minute what it may take a half hour's worth of reading to establish in a book; the communication process is completely different, and I like that.  I like that I don't know much about movies outside of one summer film class, and I like that filmmaking is foreign to me in a way that writing isn't.  It makes watching movies like watching a really good magician.  Because of that, I probably can't intelligently discuss why these movies are my favorite, but they are, because they're magical.  They're those movies that sink into you and make you sit through the credits because you're not ready for them to be over.

1. A Little Princess (1995)

(Stop cringing, Robin!)
Speaking of books and movies: I hate to admit it, but this movie adaptation is so much better than the book.  I tried reading the book in college and was pretty disgusted with how much I disliked the bratty, self-absorbed protagonist.  That being said, this movie has been my very favorite for years and years.  It's directed by Alfonso Cuaron (who also directed Prisoner of Azkaban, which is my favorite HP movie), and the cinematography is just breathtaking.  When I was younger, I loved it because of the mysticism and India and the idea that being a princess was so much more accessible than Disney's "marry a prince, wear a froofy dress" version.  I still love it because of those things, but now I also love it because of the redemption of the bully and the Ramayana myth and the overcoming racial barriers and girls being awesome and all that good stuff.  This movie makes my heart happy.

2. Finding Neverland (2004)

 
I've had a lot of people say that they thought this movie was really slow, and I guess it sort of is, but that's what I like it so much.  I like that it's so reflective and beautiful and makes me cry every dang time I watch it.  It makes me ache to be a part of the story, and not just because Johnny Depp is the lead.  (Ahem.)  Peter and Wendy is my favorite children's story, and this movie does a great job of capturing the same imaginative spirit.

Plus, I have a girl crush on Kate Winslet.

3. 1776 (1972)


I watched lots (LOTS) of musicals growing up, but this was the first one I fell in love with.  I was 10, and I've been obsessed with John Adams ever since.  William Daniels (a.k.a. Mr. Feeny), who plays Adams, basically inspired 90% of my interest in Revolution-era America.  With the exception of Martha Jefferson, whom I can't stand, I really love the way each of the characters are portrayed (ignoring historical accuracy, of course); they're hilarious and engaging and sometimes terrifying (I'm looking at you, Rutledge).  I keep trying to convert people to this movie, and most of them are bored to tears, but Ricky loved it.  Hence, our marriage.

4. Up (2009)

 
I love every single poignant thing about this movie, but I especially love Russell.  That little kid just breaks my heart.  I saw "Up" in theaters four times, and bought it the day it was released on DVD--I never expected it to be one of my favorite movies, and then one day I realized it had wormed its way onto the list.  Everybody says they cry during the montage at the beginning, but I don't lose it until the adventure book bit near the end, and then there's no stopping me.  I hate crying, but I don't mind it so much when it's this movie.

5. Howl's Moving Castle (2004)


 If you've never seen a Miyazaki movie, you're missing out.  His movies are so incredibly whimsical and strange and wonderful all at the same time, and this one is my favorite.  Miyazaki has this great way of capturing moments--he doesn't rush through things like getting from one place to another.  He lets his characters stumble, unhurried, and draws out their reactions to things, and isn't afraid to utilize silence.  I love that.  Those moments really immerse you in the story.

6. Mulan (1998)


Mulan has been my favorite "Disney princess" since the moment I saw this movie.  (For years, my brother and I had a rule that we had to watch it at least once on every road trip we went on--we had a TV with a built-in VHS player we would bring in the minivan.  Sorry, parents.)  I love that she gets to save the day.  I love that she rejects the makeup and the dress and the things that are supposed to make boys like her.  I love that she doesn't win a man by singing or dressing up or by any sort of "love at first sight" nonsense, but by being clever and brave and quick-thinking and funny and loyal.  That appealed to me even as a nine-year-old girl.  I didn't want to be Cinderella or Ariel or (heaven forbid) Snow White; I wanted to be Mulan.  If I have a daughter someday, I hope she cares less about the big dress and the tiara and more about being the hero of her own story.



And there's the six!  I could easily rearrange the order of any in my top 10, though.  The other four would probably be Big Fish, Minority Report, Moulin Rouge, and Inception.  This list was unexpectedly difficult to narrow down.

Comments

  1. Oh hey there, movie twin. Little Princess is underrated and underloved. The slow twirl when it's snowing scene? Or the flower girl and family in the street? And, of course, her bff Becky. Also, the book had a horrible ending.
    1776 is also a little known gem. Sometimes I yell out lines from it, i.e. "Somebody open up a window!" or "Sit down, John!"
    Up is the first movie John and I went to see and I tried so hard not to cry, since I'd only known him a few days, but couldn't help it.
    Also, I teared up when I saw the Mulan preview on the Disney channel and she cuts her hair with her sword. It seemed so brave and selfless and the Christina Aguilera playing in the background was just too much for my emotional nine-year-old heart.
    Thanks for bringing up some fun memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flower girl and her family! That's such a good scene. I also love the sister and the milkman--adorable. And YES, the ending was horrible! "Hey, Becky, to prove I'm such a good person, I'll let you come live with me...as a servant. You're welcome!"

      Ricky and I yell 1776 lines at each other all the time. We especially enjoy breaking down "-ly" words a la "The Lees of Old Virginia."

      Movie twins indeed! I never knew. I guess we spend so much time talking about books that we never make it to movies. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#29 - write in a journal weekly for six months (1/27)

Ok, blogosphere.  It's time to get serious.  One of the items on my list is keeping a weekly journal for six months, and since I'm getting dangerously close to not having six months left in those 999 days, I better start now.  I'd much prefer to keep a paper journal, but it takes so long to hand-write things.  (First world problems, right?)  So here we are. I'll be pulling prompts from this website whenever I get stuck...so, basically all the time.  I really struggle with blogging because I'm too worried about how I come across to the people reading it, and that distracts me from writing about real things like how I really want to play a Dungeons and Dragons game (I'm serious, you guys) and how I may or may not have left a load of laundry in the washing machine for two days and am writing this to avoid dealing with it.  First up is something eerily similar to those Livejournal/Facebook "fill this out about yourself" lists, so consider this m

#88 - buy a kitchen table and chairs

Compared to many of my other 99 goals, this one seems a little silly.  After all, what impact will acquiring a table and chairs have on my personal growth?  But, let's be honest, some things are just necessary.  Ricky and I loved eating on the couch and everything, but it's a tad embarrassing when you have guests...so I was on the hunt for a table, not for my personal growth, but for my social development.  And by "on the hunt," I mean "scavenging Craigslist."  (As if you didn't already know!) Most of the options down here in southwest Florida fall into two categories: the white-washed, pastel-cushioned, retirement-community style... ...or the metal-and-glass, I-don't-have-any-children-that-may-break-their-faces-on-this style. Give or take a few rattan pieces (which probably could be used as makeshift rafts in a hurricane-induced pinch, I suppose), this was my selection. "Why can't I just find a contemporary, wooden set that just h

#21 - go to the temple at least once every three months

On the last Saturday in September (procrastination, as usual), Ricky and I made the 3 1/2 hour drive to the Orlando, FL temple for what threatened to be a supremely awesome day.  (For those of you unfamiliar with the purpose of LDS temples, there's a website !) It was hard leaving our dear Washington, D.C. temple behind--after all, we did get married there--but we were excited for the chance to make Orlando our "home base" for the next few years.     Not as impressive as the D.C. "towering over the Beltway" look, but still impressive! Isn't this place gorgeous?  You can't see the fountains in this picture, but the temptation to jump in them was pretty strong.  It was SO HOT. No Jensen outing is complete without an awkward, "look, we match" picture.   95% of the time this is a total accident. The temple was, as usual, amazing.  You know that feeling you get when you're on vacation and you realize that you have nowhere to rush to and n