Skip to main content

#29 - write in a journal weekly for six months (2/27)

(prompt from here)

There are few things I love more than lists.  I think it's because one of the hardest parts of writing is the transitions. When you're having a conversation with someone about coconuts and you say "Hey, did you hear about those kangaroos in Africa?" out of the blue, that segue makes perfect sense to you, because your brain just made a dozen different connections in a few seconds, but it leaves your listener completely in the dark, and it's pretty hard to explain all the steps between coconuts and African kangaroos to someone outside of your own head.  Even when I'm speaking, I'll interrupt myself with a new sentence (think Miss Bates in Emma) because I'm already skipping ahead to a different thought.  Lists tidy all that up nicely, because I can just jump around however I want and no one is the wiser.  And, in the spirit of listing, I'm not even going to transition into mine.


10 Activities I Love (in no particular order)


1. Reading

Yeah, you're all really surprised.  Every painfully awkward interaction I have with an actual person (and there are so, so many) makes me want to run to a library--or somewhere no one can talk to/call me--and read until I've repaired the snooty literature barrier that keeps me from being traumatized by real life.  I prefer fictional people to 99% of actual people, and I think it's because the conversation is fairly one-sided.  When was the last time a book character got annoyed because you forgot its birthday?  Exactly.

2. Playing card and/or board games

Being embarrassingly uncoordinated, the threat of playing kickball or ultimate frisbee or volleyball makes me develop instant and non-threatening ailments like headaches and cramps and anything else that can reasonably excuse me from the activity without having to openly admit that I'm really, really awful at physical games.  Those games frustrate me, so I love playing sit-down games even more, where Spoons is about as physical as it gets.  Settlers of Catan? Phase 10?  Apples to Apples?  Trivial Pursuit?  Scrabble?  Those are my favorite Sunday activities.

3. Thrifting

Brag time: I am awesome at thrifting.  You get things with so much more character, AND it's eco-friendly, AND you save a ton of money.  My apartment is almost entirely decorated with thrifted things--old maps, old frames, old books, etc.  I love it.  Plus, vintage clothes are my favorite.  My entire collection of skinny belts is thrifted, because they were "in" two decades ago and now older people are getting rid of them.  Lace?  Yep.  Floral prints?  Also yes.  High-waisted skirts?  Definitely.  Fashion recycles.

4. Scuba diving

I don't get to go very often (read: never), mostly because Ricky isn't certified (yet) and so I don't have a dive buddy, but I'm so glad I spent the money in college to get my open water certification.  Being underwater is magical and peaceful and wonderful.  Ricky and I did a pool dive recently (which I need to write a post on), and it reminded me of how much I really miss open water diving.

5. Going to shows

One of my regrets from living in VA was not going to the Blackfriars Playhouse ("the world's only recreation of Shakespeare's indoor theater") more often.  The performances were wonderful--I saw "King Lear" and "A Christmas Carol" there and just loved them.  Ricky and I are huge on live theater, and it's unfortunate that we live in a place where most shows are just so expensive.  I think theater performances are my favorite dates, especially the more casual shows like Shakespeare in the Park.

6. Listening to NPR

I hated the radio until I discovered our NPR station, and now I can't listen to anything else.  For those of you who avoid it because you're afraid it's either all doom-and-gloom or all politics (or maybe just all boring), listen to some of the nighttime shows like Radiolab or Humankind (I'm not sure if all public radio stations carry those special programs, or just mine), or the weekend shows like Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!, Car Talk, or This American Life.  I love driving home from class at night and listening to Humankind.  There's something so personal about good radio stories.

7. Petting my cats

The world would be a better place if everyone had a kitty to snuggle.

8. Dressing up

I don't mean that in a "put on a nice dress and makeup" way, although I enjoy that as well--I mean it in an "elementary school costume party" way.  I get excited about putting together the perfect outfit, and getting my hair just right, and taking pictures--it's so much fun!  I loved being Hermione/Bellatrix for various Harry Potter midnight showings, and poofing (a.k.a. brushing) my hair for my lion costume at Halloween, and I look forward to every event where costuming is appropriate.  It's such a fun, creative outlet.

9. Singing in a choir

I never thought I'd miss this as much as I do.  I keep trying to join the community choir, but they rehearse on Monday nights, and I always have class then--I'm shooting for next spring.  Singing alto in church by yourself is all well and good, but I miss being surrounded by different parts, and singing hymns on Sundays isn't the same as performing choral pieces for an audience.  Chamber Choir in college was a great experience.

10. Visiting historical sites

When Ricky and I lived in VA, we would pull off of back highways for no reason other than to walk around Civil War battlegrounds.  We drove an hour and a half out to Appomattox just to be there, and made sure we went to Philadelphia before we moved to Florida.  I loved visiting the old plantations in Charleston, walking the Freedom Trail in Boston, and touring ancient cathedrals in England.  There isn't much of that where we live now--just a lot of swamp--and it's a bit weird to me.  I love museums and all, but it's so much more exciting standing in the actual place where an event occurred.


---

25 weeks left!

Comments

  1. Have you listened to Coast to Coast on NPR (I think that's what it's called)? I think it's on in the wee hours of the morning because my Dad listens to it on his way to work (which he drives to in the wee hours of the morning). It's people calling in talking about UFOs and Bigfoot and ghost sightings and psychic experiences, all in absolute seriousness. I haven't listened to it in a while due to my passion for sleeping a lot (maybe I can listen to it more once Molly is born) so I don't know if it's still on or what. You know what, I'm not even totally sure if it's on NPR. It might just be on just some random AM radio station. It's awesome, though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#29 - write in a journal weekly for six months (1/27)

Ok, blogosphere.  It's time to get serious.  One of the items on my list is keeping a weekly journal for six months, and since I'm getting dangerously close to not having six months left in those 999 days, I better start now.  I'd much prefer to keep a paper journal, but it takes so long to hand-write things.  (First world problems, right?)  So here we are. I'll be pulling prompts from this website whenever I get stuck...so, basically all the time.  I really struggle with blogging because I'm too worried about how I come across to the people reading it, and that distracts me from writing about real things like how I really want to play a Dungeons and Dragons game (I'm serious, you guys) and how I may or may not have left a load of laundry in the washing machine for two days and am writing this to avoid dealing with it.  First up is something eerily similar to those Livejournal/Facebook "fill this out about yourself" lists, so consider this m

#88 - buy a kitchen table and chairs

Compared to many of my other 99 goals, this one seems a little silly.  After all, what impact will acquiring a table and chairs have on my personal growth?  But, let's be honest, some things are just necessary.  Ricky and I loved eating on the couch and everything, but it's a tad embarrassing when you have guests...so I was on the hunt for a table, not for my personal growth, but for my social development.  And by "on the hunt," I mean "scavenging Craigslist."  (As if you didn't already know!) Most of the options down here in southwest Florida fall into two categories: the white-washed, pastel-cushioned, retirement-community style... ...or the metal-and-glass, I-don't-have-any-children-that-may-break-their-faces-on-this style. Give or take a few rattan pieces (which probably could be used as makeshift rafts in a hurricane-induced pinch, I suppose), this was my selection. "Why can't I just find a contemporary, wooden set that just h

#21 - go to the temple at least once every three months

On the last Saturday in September (procrastination, as usual), Ricky and I made the 3 1/2 hour drive to the Orlando, FL temple for what threatened to be a supremely awesome day.  (For those of you unfamiliar with the purpose of LDS temples, there's a website !) It was hard leaving our dear Washington, D.C. temple behind--after all, we did get married there--but we were excited for the chance to make Orlando our "home base" for the next few years.     Not as impressive as the D.C. "towering over the Beltway" look, but still impressive! Isn't this place gorgeous?  You can't see the fountains in this picture, but the temptation to jump in them was pretty strong.  It was SO HOT. No Jensen outing is complete without an awkward, "look, we match" picture.   95% of the time this is a total accident. The temple was, as usual, amazing.  You know that feeling you get when you're on vacation and you realize that you have nowhere to rush to and n