Skip to main content

#23 - participate in a large-scale/group service project

Can you believe I'm actually making this post on the SAME DAY that I checked off the goal?  I can't.  I still haven't blogged about things I did over the summer, but I made my last goal the "document everything" kind so that I would ensure that I would, eventually, get them all covered.

Living so close to the Everglades, Ricky and I have some pretty amazing parks and reserves nearby.  We don't take advantage of them as often as we should (read: never), but I'm always grateful to be in such a beautiful place!  One of the nearby state parks was in need of a cleanup, so our church organized a Mormon Helping Hands service day for this morning and extended an open invitation to the community.  There were hundreds of people there today!  Even FL governor Rick Scott showed up for some photo ops (with a lot of snide remarks between Ricky and myself about how he didn't do any actual work, of course).  The kick-off for the cleanup was at 7:00, but Ricky and I stayed up too late watching Boy Meets World and overslept.  Oops.

We wound up getting there at 9:30 or so and spent about 30 minutes wandering aimlessly and jumping in with random groups.  (This is the hazard of missing the initial team organization.)  A park ranger finally announced that he would be taking a team down the nature trail to remove some invasive species, and so we tagged along and soon found ourselves tugging vines of rosary pea off palm fronds and riverbanks.  I was eager to try my hand at one of the axes/chainsaws that they were using to cut down the invasive trees, but...well, imagine me with a chainsaw.  Exactly.

 
Here we are, about to leave for the park.  This is Ricky's invisible shovel.


Koreshan State Park!  There's a dubiously spelled but entertaining anecdote about its historical origins.
Ricky standing triumphantly after piling some felled trees.  You go, Ricky.
The camera was wrestled from me for this picture.  I had nothing to do with those trees.
I was totally keen on making a bench!  Have I mentioned I harbor a secret desire to be a carpenter?  No, really.
Pulling rosary pea from giant bamboo stalks.
Don't let me trick you into thinking the temperature has cooled down here--I'm only wearing pants and long sleeves to avoid ticks, poison ivy, and thorns.  I saw a lot of scratched-up arms around me, so I was glad I did!
Before...
...and after removal!  The rosary pea is an invasive vine that branches out everywhere, so it made the entire area look more full.
The pile removed from that one area.
Bamboo graffiti!

Despite being super late and not getting t-shirts (isn't that the whole reason why people go to these things?), Ricky and I had a lot of fun communing with nature and helping to beautify our state.

One more goal down!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#29 - write in a journal weekly for six months (1/27)

Ok, blogosphere.  It's time to get serious.  One of the items on my list is keeping a weekly journal for six months, and since I'm getting dangerously close to not having six months left in those 999 days, I better start now.  I'd much prefer to keep a paper journal, but it takes so long to hand-write things.  (First world problems, right?)  So here we are. I'll be pulling prompts from this website whenever I get stuck...so, basically all the time.  I really struggle with blogging because I'm too worried about how I come across to the people reading it, and that distracts me from writing about real things like how I really want to play a Dungeons and Dragons game (I'm serious, you guys) and how I may or may not have left a load of laundry in the washing machine for two days and am writing this to avoid dealing with it.  First up is something eerily similar to those Livejournal/Facebook "fill this out about yourself" lists, so consider this m...

2021, in conclusion/memoriam

We're all just ignoring any and all goals we set during the pandemic, right? Right. After the nightmare that was 2020, 2021 wasn't so bad. I submitted my first first-author publication  that uncovered a long-standing misconception about airborne transmission of disease, and it got me featured in WIRED magazine . I successfully defended and submitted my dissertation about volunteer health communication in US refugee resettlement. (Those two projects sound very unrelated, but medical rhetoric is the key there :) :))  After 2 years of doctoral coursework and 3 (soul-sucking) years of dissertating, I graduated with a PhD in Rhetoric and Writing from Virginia Tech. My mental health immediately   improved. While I was finishing my dissertation, we sold our townhouse in Blacksburg and moved to a 1910s-era bungalow in coastal North Carolina. My daughter started 1st grade (!) in a Spanish immersion program. We all got vaccinated. I was on set as an extra in a Simu Liu/Phillipa So...

#13 - take Ricky to NYC (day 4)

DAY 4 - THURSDAY, MAY 17TH I have to brag for a minute. When Ricky and I decided that the New York thing was really going to happen, I wondered if we may be able to squeeze in a Boston day.  I went to Boston over spring break in 2008, and it's been my favorite "big city" ever since--Ricky wasn't over the moon about going (because that was one less day we'd be in NYC), but he could see how excited I was about it.  Also, I planned the whole trip, so he didn't really have a choice anyway. :)  So, I did some searching.  We were still about two months out at this point, but I discovered that Peter Pan Bus Lines (they use Greyhound buses?  I don't know how it works) offers a $1 fare from NYC to Boston (and back) if you book online a month in advance...so I set an alarm on my phone for the right day and scored two round-trip tickets for $4.50 (with tax)!  Since we took overnight buses, that $4.50 was also our NYC lodging cost for two nights.  Plea...