Skip to main content

#2 - go to a Cirque du Soleil show

This is the thrilling conclusion to this post, in which I explain how my very favorite husband bought me Cirque du Soleil tickets for my birthday and how excited I am to see the show.

IT.  WAS.  SO.  GOOD.  

(The show, not the blog post.)

It was a sold-out house, making parking and traffic pretty crazy, but we left early enough for Miami that we had plenty of time before the show started to grab a bite at a super-shady Wendy's and talk about how much we hate Miami.

Cirque du Soleil lived up to every expectation I had for it, which is saying something, because I've been building expectations for seven years now.  I laughed and screamed and took blurry pictures and smiled like an idiot the whole time.  


One of the few redeeming qualities of big cities is that awesome things come to them--like Cirque du Soleil.

We were literally five feet away from the stage, which actually turned out to be a disadvantage because a lot of the stunts were 30-50 feet in the air.  My neck hurt at the end of the night, but I got a great perspective on how high up they really were!

I look drugged/recovering from a punch to the face in this picture (and maybe I was--aren't you curious now?), but Ricky looks like a kid at Christmas.  This was during intermission, I think, when the house lights were still down and my flash was blinding everyone in a three-foot radius.  (Maybe that's why I got punched in the face.)

Goal #2, complete! 

In case you've never seen any Cirque du Soleil shows or clips (unfortunate soul), here's one from my favorite stunt of the night.  It's pretty long, and the camera angle doesn't give you the full terrifying "they don't have a safety net" feeling, but jump to 7:00 and you'll see the parts where I started freaking out.


Comments

  1. Those people are crazy and fearless! Glad you finally got to see Cirqu du Soleil!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#29 - write in a journal weekly for six months (1/27)

Ok, blogosphere.  It's time to get serious.  One of the items on my list is keeping a weekly journal for six months, and since I'm getting dangerously close to not having six months left in those 999 days, I better start now.  I'd much prefer to keep a paper journal, but it takes so long to hand-write things.  (First world problems, right?)  So here we are. I'll be pulling prompts from this website whenever I get stuck...so, basically all the time.  I really struggle with blogging because I'm too worried about how I come across to the people reading it, and that distracts me from writing about real things like how I really want to play a Dungeons and Dragons game (I'm serious, you guys) and how I may or may not have left a load of laundry in the washing machine for two days and am writing this to avoid dealing with it.  First up is something eerily similar to those Livejournal/Facebook "fill this out about yourself" lists, so consider this m...

#13 - take Ricky to NYC (day 4)

DAY 4 - THURSDAY, MAY 17TH I have to brag for a minute. When Ricky and I decided that the New York thing was really going to happen, I wondered if we may be able to squeeze in a Boston day.  I went to Boston over spring break in 2008, and it's been my favorite "big city" ever since--Ricky wasn't over the moon about going (because that was one less day we'd be in NYC), but he could see how excited I was about it.  Also, I planned the whole trip, so he didn't really have a choice anyway. :)  So, I did some searching.  We were still about two months out at this point, but I discovered that Peter Pan Bus Lines (they use Greyhound buses?  I don't know how it works) offers a $1 fare from NYC to Boston (and back) if you book online a month in advance...so I set an alarm on my phone for the right day and scored two round-trip tickets for $4.50 (with tax)!  Since we took overnight buses, that $4.50 was also our NYC lodging cost for two nights.  Plea...

#13 - take Ricky to NYC (day 2)

DAY 2 - TUESDAY, MAY 15TH After a surprisingly restful night of sleep (despite being woken up at 7:00 by boys yelling in German in the hallway and the bathroom door that sounded like a trumpeting elephant when opened--I didn't even know that was possible), Ricky and I left the hostel at 9:00 or so to try and get standby tickets for "Death of a Salesman."  The box office doesn't open until 10:00, so if we're in line by 9:30, we'll be good, right?  Wrong.  All the info I found online about standby tickets said the non-musical shows were pretty easy to get tickets for, and you didn't have to show up super early, etc.  Well, apparently Phillip Seymour Hoffman is more popular than I anticipated, because all the standby tickets were sold out by the time we showed up.  In fact, the ticket attendant told Ricky they had been sold out since 7:00.  IN THE MORNING.  He said the line started at 5:00.  I laughed in Ricky's face when he passed the informati...