Skip to main content

#48 - read one book each month outside of schoolwork

If there's one thing I love--luckily, I love more things than that, but if there had to be just one, and it wasn't Ricky or my cat or my family or any of those things--it's Julie Andrews.


I didn't mean for Home to be my September book.  In fact, I was really eying a Dostoevsky for this month, but Ricky and I made the mistake of going into Borders one night and I found this beauty on sale for five dollars.  I opened it up there in the store and proceeded to read for 20 minutes until they announced that the store was closing and I better buy the book or get the heck out.  After a tiny twinge of guilt for spending money on a book that I certainly don't need...I bought it anyway.  (It's a problem.)

And it was AWESOME.  Julie Andrews had a fascinating childhood, and the way she writes is so astoundingly British that my inner reading voice actually develops a strong accent.  I love it.  Her children's book, The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles, is my favorite in the genre--so favorite, in fact, that I bought an extra copy just in case I need to loan it out to someone so they can understand how wonderful it is.  

Did I mention that I love Julie Andrews?

Anyway, Home was a quick, enjoyable read and I hope that Julie Andrews has more memoirs out there for me to devour.  This one ends right after she signs on to do Mary Poppins, and who isn't interested in hearing that story?  If you love Ms. Andrews, you'll love the book.  But, as a wise man once said, "You don't have to take my word for it!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#29 - write in a journal weekly for six months (1/27)

Ok, blogosphere.  It's time to get serious.  One of the items on my list is keeping a weekly journal for six months, and since I'm getting dangerously close to not having six months left in those 999 days, I better start now.  I'd much prefer to keep a paper journal, but it takes so long to hand-write things.  (First world problems, right?)  So here we are. I'll be pulling prompts from this website whenever I get stuck...so, basically all the time.  I really struggle with blogging because I'm too worried about how I come across to the people reading it, and that distracts me from writing about real things like how I really want to play a Dungeons and Dragons game (I'm serious, you guys) and how I may or may not have left a load of laundry in the washing machine for two days and am writing this to avoid dealing with it.  First up is something eerily similar to those Livejournal/Facebook "fill this out about yourself" lists, so consider this m...

#13 - take Ricky to NYC (day 4)

DAY 4 - THURSDAY, MAY 17TH I have to brag for a minute. When Ricky and I decided that the New York thing was really going to happen, I wondered if we may be able to squeeze in a Boston day.  I went to Boston over spring break in 2008, and it's been my favorite "big city" ever since--Ricky wasn't over the moon about going (because that was one less day we'd be in NYC), but he could see how excited I was about it.  Also, I planned the whole trip, so he didn't really have a choice anyway. :)  So, I did some searching.  We were still about two months out at this point, but I discovered that Peter Pan Bus Lines (they use Greyhound buses?  I don't know how it works) offers a $1 fare from NYC to Boston (and back) if you book online a month in advance...so I set an alarm on my phone for the right day and scored two round-trip tickets for $4.50 (with tax)!  Since we took overnight buses, that $4.50 was also our NYC lodging cost for two nights.  Plea...

#13 - take Ricky to NYC (day 2)

DAY 2 - TUESDAY, MAY 15TH After a surprisingly restful night of sleep (despite being woken up at 7:00 by boys yelling in German in the hallway and the bathroom door that sounded like a trumpeting elephant when opened--I didn't even know that was possible), Ricky and I left the hostel at 9:00 or so to try and get standby tickets for "Death of a Salesman."  The box office doesn't open until 10:00, so if we're in line by 9:30, we'll be good, right?  Wrong.  All the info I found online about standby tickets said the non-musical shows were pretty easy to get tickets for, and you didn't have to show up super early, etc.  Well, apparently Phillip Seymour Hoffman is more popular than I anticipated, because all the standby tickets were sold out by the time we showed up.  In fact, the ticket attendant told Ricky they had been sold out since 7:00.  IN THE MORNING.  He said the line started at 5:00.  I laughed in Ricky's face when he passed the informati...